Wednesday 25 April 2007

What's In A Name?


I decided to explain my choice of name on here. It came about after I was chatting to a dear friend in America. He asked about my name and it's meaning and suddenly realised that maybe it might be a bit obscure so here's the explaination.

A Friend Called 5 came from a song by Gary Numan under his then band name Tubeway Army. Going back to 1979 he released a single called "Are Friends Electric" which got to number 1 here in the UK in 1979. It was, and still is a classic single and the album it came off, "Replicas" is just as good. On that album there is a track called "Down In The Park" which was the single before "Are Friends Electric" and it contains the line "down in the park with a friend called 5". Being a kid of 14 I thought this was a great line about someone having a friend with a number instead of a name not realising that he was talking about robots taking over as humans!
5

No comments: